Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Diane and Egon von Furstenberg ...

I first met Egon in Marbella, and, also went to a party at his apartment in New York with Barbara Girard, his ex wife Diane, I met at a fashion industry event in New York. I was with Ben Shaw "The King of Seventh Avenue", and Barbara Girard. Ben Shaw had two fashion designers there getting an award, he owned the building at 550 Seventh Ave. So, Diane was with Murjani and had sold 60 million dollars worth of those wrap around dresses, that everybody had in Europe, she was not the first. Egon was responsible for her getting into the fashion business, but she did much better than he did. I had that same dress and so did Ungaro. Anyway, Ben Shaw had Alpert Capraro and we were supposed to sit at his table. Ben Shaw wanted to play a joke on Diane so he had Barbara Girard and myself sit down at her table , in her seat.
She comes in late and they have to get her another chair and squeeze her in -- until they find where Barbara and I are supposed to sit. Diane von Furstenberg was not happy. So, back to Egon - he had an affair with Paul Jabara in Hollywood is what I heard. the music disco guy. So, one night in Marbella in 1976, Egon would not let me leave "Bar Menchus" until we remembered the name of the boat captain in the movie "Jaws" - Robert Shaw. Egon was a rich Prince I think it was FIAT money .....

1 comment:

  1. What happened to Barbara Girard? I read she passed in Jan '11, leaving a 2 sentence obituary. Do you know? Thanks

    ReplyDelete